A great enclosure is today placed in piazza
Stesicoro, where monumental finds of one of the biggest Roman
Amphitheatre are visitable. The monument is in a very larg
area including the present via Penninello , via Neve and the
church of San Biaggio.It dates back to the central decades of
thesecond century AD. Volcanic material, white marble and red
bricks werw used to build the Amphitheatre. The present entrance
of the Amphitheatre was built at the beginning of the twentieth
century, using columns and architectonic fragments of its finds.
The stairs connect the present level of the
piazza to the ancient floor of the AmphitheatreIt included a
cavea with 14 terraces divided into three ordes,where spectator
sat down. Today, it is possible to visit only the first inner
passage with some exit in the arena, where some fragments of the
marble decorations are visible.When the Amphitheatre was in such
a derelict state, it was used as a quarry to build other
monuments.In 1904 and 1905 the architect F. Fichera finished the
restoration of the monument, started by the Prince of Biscari.
Amphitheatre: square Stesicoro. tel.
095/7150405 visit: all days,
holidays included h.9,00 -13,30 and h.15,00 - 19,00